Monday, March 9, 2015

An Influential Event


An influential event that has changed my perception of the world happened when I was selected to represent Singapore in a youth environmental conference held in Brazil when I was 15 years old. The conference has broadened my perspective and has also introduced me to the different cultural practices from around the world.

The Children and Youth International Conference – Let’s Take Care of the Planet brought young adults from all over the world to discuss about global socio-environmental problems, with a special focus on climate change. The conference gave me the chance to meet youths from different countries who believe that they can be the agent of change. It gave me the opportunity to learn from them, and also gave me a platform to convey my thoughts. Most importantly, it cultivated my passion towards such issues and that is the reason why I am majoring in Geography now instead of Science although I had always been a Science student since secondary school.

The conference also provided me with the rare chance to interact with people of different race, religion, and nationality. I managed to learn about the different cultural practices, especially those in Brazil. I also managed to experience a different landscape and climate since the place I went to, Brasilia, has a tropical savannah climate.


It was undeniably my most memorable experience. The conference has made me a global citizen, and one day, I will definitely travel around the world to witness everything I have been told about during the conference.

(252 words)

11 comments:

  1. Hello Wei Ting!

    Here are some comments for you :)

    a. What do you think about the event described?

    I have not heard of this event before but it sounds interesting. Knowing that Wei Ting majors in geography, I am surprised that she was selected to go for this conference even before she started tertiary education. She must have been an outstanding student with a passion for the world and nature. International conferences are useful platforms to interact with people from different background from us. How nice of her to have experienced Brazil!

    On a side note, I think that "undeniable my most memorable experience" should be changed to "undeniably" (I might be wrong too >.<).

    b. Does this post strike you as having been written “with heart” or not? How can you justify

    Yes, of course. I am able to feel her enthusiasm as though she was reliving the moment. The fact that she is majoring in geography instead of science says a lot about of interest in mother nature. Thank you for sharing this meaningful experience :)

    Keep up the good work :)
    Zimin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zimin, thanks for your comment! ((: and yes I was trying to write undeniably so you are correct!

      Delete
  2. Hey Wei Ting!

    The event really sounds very interesting and impressive at the same time! The opportunity to get together with so many people of diverse background seems really really fun! :)

    I would say that this was something that was close to her heart as it has inspired her to pursue something that she truly loves. The drive was enough justification that this was something personal to her.

    Cheers,
    Asyraf

    ReplyDelete
  3. a.What do you think about the event described?

    The event is an eye opener and I believe that the good cause of it has definitely had its impact on the many participants, including Weiting. It is always beneficial for people across different countries and cultures to come together to share their experiences and problems to better understand the unique issues others are facing. Zimin is right i think its undeniably. haha

    b.Does this post strike you as having been written “with heart” or not? How can you justify?

    I do believe that it has been written with heart because it justifies the curiosity and strong passion that she has for the natural world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Wei Ting,
    It’s great to read your article. It is clearly described and well structured.
    It is really very cool to attend environmental conference in Brazil. I can feel your passion and affection in joining such kind of global event which enables us to more globally concerned and being with broader thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Xin Zhu!

      Thanks for reading my short write up! (:

      Delete
  5. Hi weiting! From your article, I really feel that you do have an urge to contribute to a small change of the world. Participating such conference is so good for your future perspective and I do feel how it impacts on you positively, and I wish if only I had a chance to take part in such a conference too! And I feel that you are a person that would not want to be limited in a narrow field only, as you want to go to other countries to discover and witness more things. And from the way you chose to be in geography major instead of science though you studied science previously, it shows me that you are very willing to explore more knowledge.
    I think that weiting's article is written "with heart" as I can feel her passion and eager for knowledge and to change the world from her words, there are no much fantastic vocabulary or verb structure existing, but it is a fantastic article!
    Thank you weiting for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Elaine! Thank you for your kind words! (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. :) This is a detailed post about an important event. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete