Monday, February 9, 2015

My English Language Learning Journey (Edited)

English has always been my Achilles’ heel as it is a subject I can never do well in. This is largely due to the fact that I did not really enjoyed attending English lesson in primary school and thus I had never listened to what my teacher had to say about the language. This has inevitably led to my poor grasp of English, and I find it a pity because I am starting to appreciate the art of mastering this subject so as to fluently express my ideas and thoughts.

I remember back in primary school, grammar practices used to be a series of guess and check. Doing my English homework was a breeze as compared to mathematics and science homework because I had never really understood what I was doing. As I proceeded to secondary school, the lack of vocabulary skills has made writing narrative essays a nightmare for me. I do not read stopped reading books anymore after Primary 4, and thus, I have zero clues as to on how to write an impressive story. I thought expository essays would be so much better as it requires factual knowledge, but I have never been so wrong. My mediocre skills in expressing myself coupled with many grammatical mistakes made my essays really hard to read for my teacher. As I advanced in to tertiary education, this lack of skills to properly express myself made it difficult to do well in school. Even though I knew I understood the concepts and I have the necessary content, I can never write a proper essay in FASS, as my English will always be my downfall.

I admire those people with a flair for English. They have the ability to skilfully pen down their thoughts and make English look like an art. I really regret not putting in effort to learn this language and I really hope that with hard work and determination, I will be able to be like these people one day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment